Megs in Calgary

All about me and my crazy experiences living and working in Calgary.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Hi Everyone,

Thursday a bunch of the assistants in Toulon met up to meet each other. There are Canadians, Americans, an Italian, a Spanish girl, a German girl, a Scottish guy and an English so far. Its really fun since we are all so different . We went to the port and I ordered a "lemonade". After I tasted it, I realised lemonade doesnt exist here, its really just Sprite :( (The first time I ordered lemonade, it turned out to be Smirnoff Ice).

I recently found out that unlike the assistants at the other schools, my school doesnt allow teachers to wear jeans. Unfortunately that meant I had to do some clothing shopping, grrrrr of all things :P While I was in the mall, I went to the Wallmart type equivalent called Carrefour. Alot of the workers were wearing normal uniform type smocks but there were also employees in their own clothing. The woman checking stock in the TV aisle was wearing 3" heels; tight black pants, and a tight tanktop with a plunging neckline and lots of makeup etc, the best part... she was in her 40s! This is the norm here, its so different from Canada. Women are so much more conscious of their appearance here. Actually its not just the women, its the guys too. They are just as in to their clothes as the girls. People watching is stellar here!

Today I bought my new dance shoes, I signed up for danse classique lessons (ballet), hehe I am excited its been sooo long. I want to take anothert type of dance lessons but I cant decide between Cuban salsa, flamenco or contemporary. hmm what do you guys think?

Well I must head to bed, tommorow am, am heading to the train station early to ,eet up with with some assistants at the train station... we are going to Nice for a few days for language assistant orientation :)

1 Comments:

  • At October 05, 2005 2:10 p.m., Blogger M-J said…

    Yay! I've been waiting to hear how things are going! It sounds like you're having a good time so far - it's easy to see the french food is your favourite :). If you want what we call lemonade, you might have to ask for "real lemonade"...it sounds ridiculous, but that's what they call it in Britain & Australia (I had a good laugh over the lemonade thing when I lived with Matty), so maybe that's what they call it in France too. I'll keep checking this, post pics soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home