Its good to be blond, I think...
This week was busy!
Sunday I went for a walk to the beach. I sat down on the sand with my assistant handbook when this Russian man asked me the time. Usually, here in France we pretend we have no watch because the men will use any excuse they can get to talk to girls. I was trying to tan my lilly white arms so he saw the watch and to make a long story short, he tried to give me 500 Euros. Yep, a 75 yr old man, wearing nothing but a speedo, tried to get me to take this money for no apparent reason other than I was white, blond and Canadian and I guess I was polite and friendly but still. He said he won 50 000E last week in the lottery and went to donate some to a local youth center but saw alot of the youth there drinking wine so decided not to. I refused the money cause it was too weird. He wasnt creepy and I was tempted but I said I wasnt poor enough to accept it.

This is the beach here in Toulon.
Tuesday and Wednesday I had teacher training. The French are so different than North Americans. We in Canada like to use our time very efficiently but here its so different. They take 2 hr lunch breaks and tons of coffee breaks. We could have gotten all 2 days of training done in 2/3 of one day had they been better prepared and given us less break time. None of us can figure out what they do on that long of a lunch break.
Last night, Thurs, a bunch of us went out to "The Nav". Kristen, Meagan and I got there earlier than the rest of the people and so when se were sitting there waiting this man with a microphone and a spotlight came over and asked us where we were from. We are all Canadian and thus mucher paler than the locals. We told him Canada and so he announced it to the whole bar and they errupted in to applause- go Canada!! They gave us bar tshirts as a gift. After that, a guy in the marines here came over to our table, by this time the boys had arrived and the marine invited us all to a party next weekend. He told me his boat was in Hali last year and they toured as far as Liverpool, NS. Noone understood why I laughed
The French love us here. When strangers hear my accent, they ask where I am from and when I say Canada, they get REALLY excited. Half of them havent even been there but they love it sooo much. (speedo old man loved it too) Its really nice not to be American sometimes. Some of the US assistants get major attitude from the French people. I have to say I have met some really really nice assistants from the US so I feel bad for them.
Sunday I went for a walk to the beach. I sat down on the sand with my assistant handbook when this Russian man asked me the time. Usually, here in France we pretend we have no watch because the men will use any excuse they can get to talk to girls. I was trying to tan my lilly white arms so he saw the watch and to make a long story short, he tried to give me 500 Euros. Yep, a 75 yr old man, wearing nothing but a speedo, tried to get me to take this money for no apparent reason other than I was white, blond and Canadian and I guess I was polite and friendly but still. He said he won 50 000E last week in the lottery and went to donate some to a local youth center but saw alot of the youth there drinking wine so decided not to. I refused the money cause it was too weird. He wasnt creepy and I was tempted but I said I wasnt poor enough to accept it.

This is the beach here in Toulon.
Tuesday and Wednesday I had teacher training. The French are so different than North Americans. We in Canada like to use our time very efficiently but here its so different. They take 2 hr lunch breaks and tons of coffee breaks. We could have gotten all 2 days of training done in 2/3 of one day had they been better prepared and given us less break time. None of us can figure out what they do on that long of a lunch break.
Last night, Thurs, a bunch of us went out to "The Nav". Kristen, Meagan and I got there earlier than the rest of the people and so when se were sitting there waiting this man with a microphone and a spotlight came over and asked us where we were from. We are all Canadian and thus mucher paler than the locals. We told him Canada and so he announced it to the whole bar and they errupted in to applause- go Canada!! They gave us bar tshirts as a gift. After that, a guy in the marines here came over to our table, by this time the boys had arrived and the marine invited us all to a party next weekend. He told me his boat was in Hali last year and they toured as far as Liverpool, NS. Noone understood why I laughed
The French love us here. When strangers hear my accent, they ask where I am from and when I say Canada, they get REALLY excited. Half of them havent even been there but they love it sooo much. (speedo old man loved it too) Its really nice not to be American sometimes. Some of the US assistants get major attitude from the French people. I have to say I have met some really really nice assistants from the US so I feel bad for them.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home