Megs in Calgary

All about me and my crazy experiences living and working in Calgary.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

French Kisses

Last night, Nat, Meagan and I went out again with the guys we saw on Monday (plus 10 more). haha There were about 14 guys and only us three girls, not that we were complaining :) Anyways, I am not sure if I have ever mentioned the "bisou" here but I am realising that I am really going to miss it. Its the French 'air kiss' as we call it in North America but really its not an airkiss, its a cheek touching cheek movement. Usually you do it one time on each side of the face but in some regions in France they do it 2 or 3 times per cheek, like back and forth. When you meet people informally like we did last night, you automatically go around the entire group and give the bis (pronounced beez) to everyone. If its the first time meeting the person, you do the bis and then say your name. I dont know how to explain why we like it so much but we do really, its just so very sweet. To not bis someone is the ultimate in rudeness and I have never ever witnessed that, unless it was me who forgot to do it. People dont get offended when foreigners dont do it because they dont expect us to know about it. They also sign all correspondence with the french version of "kisses or big kisses". Not just to family and friends but to everyone, even mere acquaintances. Its impossible to explain why its so nice but once you get used to getting that close to multiple strangers in a night, you end up looking forward to the bis. At the end of the night, you need to bis everyone goodbye as well. Even if you didnt talk to them all night.

Last night the boys were asking about what we in Can/US think about French people and vice versa. Apparently, they think all anglophones are frigid and that Italians are equal with them and spaniards are in 3rd place for love compatibility and passion. Interesting eh? I suppose when you think how most people in Canada or US would respond to a stranger kissing them on both cheeks, we do seem frigid. But anyway, I will get some people to pose doing the bis and take a pic. Its really cute to the see the North American assistants recieving them because they always get big happy grins on their faces! Good ol' France!

Tommorow I am off to Morocco. I packed lots of long sleeve shirts because arms and shoulders are private parts of the body as are legs and ankles. Its going to be like a different world there and I will tell you all about when I get back!!!

For everyone in school, have great spring breaks! Anybody going anywhere hot?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home