Marocco 2- truths from our driver
After a long week of relaxing and watching the henna wear off my hand, I am back with some more trip highlights. Soo where was I? Ok, on the trip back to Marrakech from the dessert, I had the wonderful opportunity to sit beside the driver of the bus. I was the bravest girl and since we they picked us up last, I had to sit beside him. He ended up telling me some very interesting things about Maroccan culture such as:
* Moroccan citizens are not allowed to say anything against the king. If they do, they will be kidnapped, blindfolded and beaten in prison.

King Mohamed VI- There are pics of him everywhere. I think we saw 4 huge billboards of him in the first 5 minutes we were in Marrakech and all stores have random snapshots of him displayed, its creepyish)
* Girls often marry at 15 and have their first child at 16.
* These girls have no choice in the matter and are traded for camels.
* The women have virtually no rights, surprise surprise and if their husband beats them and they want to leave the marriage, they will never be able to marry again.
* The new king is young and therefore has a young wife who is very educated and is trying to help the womens rights movement which started only 2 yrs ago.
* There are now anti-spousal abuse commercials that have done nothing more than p*ss off the men in the country.
* Due to this new awareness, laws have changed such as if a husband wants to practice polygamy, he needs the approval of his wife. Once he has that, he needs to prove to the court that he needs a second or third wife. Valid reasons include, infertility and illness on the part of the wife.
* If the woman doesnt give her approval to the husband to take on this extra wife, he will probably just beat her until she gives in.
* If a husband cheats on his wife she just has to deal; if a wife cheats on her husband, its an automatic divorce.
After I got all this info out of him, he turned to me and said "Meghan, I have told you alot" and wouldnt say another word except for when he started saying...
that I should have an affair with him. EWWWWW This was after I told him how disgusting I thought cheating was. Gross, he even has 3 daughters at home and a poor little wife (who he too married at 16). Anyway, he popped his head in a pic of us girls so when Nat sends it to me, I will post it for you all to see.
I think my laundry is clean now so I better rescue it before its stolen.
lates
* Moroccan citizens are not allowed to say anything against the king. If they do, they will be kidnapped, blindfolded and beaten in prison.

King Mohamed VI- There are pics of him everywhere. I think we saw 4 huge billboards of him in the first 5 minutes we were in Marrakech and all stores have random snapshots of him displayed, its creepyish)
* Girls often marry at 15 and have their first child at 16.
* These girls have no choice in the matter and are traded for camels.
* The women have virtually no rights, surprise surprise and if their husband beats them and they want to leave the marriage, they will never be able to marry again.
* The new king is young and therefore has a young wife who is very educated and is trying to help the womens rights movement which started only 2 yrs ago.
* There are now anti-spousal abuse commercials that have done nothing more than p*ss off the men in the country.
* Due to this new awareness, laws have changed such as if a husband wants to practice polygamy, he needs the approval of his wife. Once he has that, he needs to prove to the court that he needs a second or third wife. Valid reasons include, infertility and illness on the part of the wife.
* If the woman doesnt give her approval to the husband to take on this extra wife, he will probably just beat her until she gives in.
* If a husband cheats on his wife she just has to deal; if a wife cheats on her husband, its an automatic divorce.
After I got all this info out of him, he turned to me and said "Meghan, I have told you alot" and wouldnt say another word except for when he started saying...
that I should have an affair with him. EWWWWW This was after I told him how disgusting I thought cheating was. Gross, he even has 3 daughters at home and a poor little wife (who he too married at 16). Anyway, he popped his head in a pic of us girls so when Nat sends it to me, I will post it for you all to see.
I think my laundry is clean now so I better rescue it before its stolen.
lates


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home